Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hair I am

Finding a good and inexpensive salon in Boston can be tricky. You don't want to get ripped off, you don't want to go to a place that is too upscale and snooty for it's own good, and you don't want to get stuck with an inexperienced stylist who has just learned how to use a pair of scissors.

Not being from the city, it's not like home where you go to the same place you've been going all your life. It's even difficult to ask your friends for suggestions, because chances are they are as clueless as you are and save the trips to the hairdressers for when they go home.

For the most part, I too have waited until I got home to see someone I know and trust. Aside from that, I know I will be saving at least a few bucks, a definite advantage of doing anything outside of the city.

But for the times when a haircut just can't wait until someone offers me a ride home, finding a salon in Boston was necessary. In the past, I have found a couple of good places, each on Newbury Street. Salon Marc Harris and GSpa have each done good jobs and have a really friendly staff. Marc Harris charges about $40 for the most inexpensive stylists. GSpa costs a little more, but thanks to a coupon in Glamour magazine I got full highlights and a haircut priced down from $260 to $130. Not a bad deal, but still not ideal on a student's budget.

So today I took advantage of a good deal on the Citysearch Web site. Just visit the the site and search Runway Salon on Newbury St. The site offers a printable coupon for a $25 for a haircut and blowdry. Just make sure you tell them when you call to make an appointment, and chances out they will set you up with a junior stylist. Upon reading the reviews on the site, most people get Erik. I had him too, and he was young, but super friendly and knew what he was doing and very quick to offer suggestions. Unlike other salons, he washes your hair too, which like most other nice salons, includes a relaxing head massage. The coupon saves you at least $20 for the visit, and although it's only usable for your first appointment, (if I don't have a coupon for another place), I'll be returning.

No comments: